Some Sundays it feels like the Body of Blahs in the Denomination of Dullness. Why? We look around at the beginning of the worship gathering and there is only a few people present. There is something exciting about a crowd of people coming together to worship the Lord. A crowd says there is growth and health and it naturally brings excitement.
What is it going to take to become a dynamic growing church? Here is the secret; people come to church when they are invited.
Let’s start by saying that a growing church is a healthy, obedient church. Here’s why; it’s scripturally healthy to want to…
- Share our church with people
- Witness people saved
- See lives changed for the better
- Enable sobriety
- Encourage personal holiness
- Find healing for our hurts, habits and hang-ups
- Heal broken relationships
And all these results take place in an active relationship with Jesus through his Church. What are the roadblocks to personally inviting people to church? Sometimes we…
- Don’t feel a burden for people
- Forget what it’s like to be apart from Christ
- Feel embarrassed by the style and quality of the worship gathering
- More embarrassed by the people who attend
- Downplay the influence of our story
- Figure they will find it irrelevant
- Compartmentalize – work stuff for work, church for church
- Fear rejection and losing a relationship
- Fear being challenged
- Asked everyone we know already
- Fear our friends won’t be welcomed.
So we must break down these barriers and discover an effective way to reach people with a personal invite to sojourn church.
I want to be a part of a dynamic growing body of Christ. How do we get there?
- Make a list of people
- List what you like about sojourn church
- Think about your personal benefits of attending
- Start inviting.
- Prepare for excitement!